A. CONDITIONS OF MEMBERSHIP
Independent schools, also known as private schools in other jurisdictions, may become members of FISA BC if the authority, or governing body, meets the following conditions. The independent school authority must:
- Be located in British Columbia.
- Be an incorporated entity or be designated as an authority under the Independent School Act for British Columbia.
- Express agreement with the constitution of FISA BC.
- Agree to pay annual membership fees as determined by the Directors from time to time.
- Maintain responsible educational programs and standards.
- Maintain a certificate of group classification pursuant to the Independent School Act of British Columbia and all amendments to it.
- Agree to a two-year probation period during which time the Directors can terminate the membership.
B. MEMBERSHIP CLASSES WITHIN FISA BC
Any new member to FISA BC will be classified in one of five classes of membership in the Society:
- If the new incorporated entity offers education from a Catholic perspective and is approved by one of five dioceses in British Columbia, the new member may be eligible in the Catholic Independent School (CIS) class.
- A new member that wishes to affiliate with the Society of Christian schools in British Columbia (SCSBC) must apply for membership with the SCSBC.
- A new member that wishes to affiliate with the Association of Christian Schools International in British Columbia (ACSI BC) must apply for membership with ACSI BC.
- A new member that offers education with an emphasis on preparation for university studies and has been incorporated for at least four years is eligible to apply for membership in the Independent Schools Association in British Columbia (ISABC).
- A new member that does not join CIS, SCSBC, ACSIBC, or ISABC and meets all the conditions of membership set by FISA BC may be eligible for membership with the Associate Member Society of FISABC (AMS).
C. MEMBERSHIP PROCESS
The process of membership for CIS, SCSBC, ACSIBC, ISABC and AMS is established by each association in accordance with its own membership policies. Applicants should contact these associations directly by linking to their logos on the FISA BC home page.
Associate Member Society of the FISA BC Membership
FISA BC assists AMS with membership enquiries.